Baby Tips: Getting Prepped (Food-Wise) for a Newborn
Food is such an important part of pregnancy. And as your due date approaches you want to be thinking more and more about getting your home stocked with food for when the baby comes. Mind you, the newborn does not need the food as they just need their mother’s breastmilk for the first 6 months, but the parents definitely do. Seeing as both parents will not be sleeping a ton, they will be burning off more calories just by being awake more. Add to that the stress of caring for a newborn and breastfeeding (which burns about 500 calories extra each day!) and you will have very hungry parents who have little time to cook or shop. Now this is where the prepping comes in handy, very handy!
Stock the Freezer as if it were doomsday
Editors Note: This was written right after the baby was born but is being posted 7 months later because babies. You. will. have. no. time. Make the food!
Okay so I exaggerate, but you still get the point. One awesome thing that we did was get a stand-alone freezer. Even though our refrigerator is relatively large, it was still extremely limiting in terms of how much food we can store. We would shed a rueful tear every time we were in Costco and couldn’t get a bunch of the frozen goodies because we knew we didn’t have enough space in our freezer. Now we are able to take much better advantage of sales on frozen foods since we have room for them. Pro tip: get an upright freezer instead of the chest freezer. Reason being is everyone I’ve talked to who owns one says that you end up “losing” lots of things at the bottom of the freezer because you can’t see or reach them easily. Having a vertical opening freezer allows us to see everything we have effortlessly and also just makes it much simpler to use each time.
Kuuk Silicone Ice Cube Tray (Twin Pack) Blue and Green Review
I have always found ice cube trays to be profoundly frustrating. The ice cubes always seem to either fly out of the tray at the lightest tough (onto the floor of course) or you need a chain saw to get them out. No fun either way. Now I got to try something infinitely easier to use, the Kuuk Silicone Ice Cube Tray. Now I’m not going to say that this has changed my life but I will say that this tray completely took out the frustrating aspect of ice cubes for me. I am SO glad I got these.
- The ice mold makes perfect 1 inch cubes, and I mean perfect
- Great for storing baby food
- Comes in a twin pack, two fun colors
- Mold is made from high-quality food-grade silicone that will never crack or break the way plastic ones constantly do
- 100% BPA free
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- The two trays stack neatly in your freezer
- Great to put into both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, or smoothies like me 😉
Vegan Kale-Rice Casserole Recipe
Casseroles are amazing because oftentimes you can double a recipe, adding two minutes to prep time, and have another full meal ready for later. We love to freeze one batch and have a delicious dinner ready by just popping a casserole right in the oven. This recipe we like in particular because of its ease, short prep time, incredible nutritional value and awesome flavor. We’ve given many non-vegans this dish to try and they all LOVED it! Try it out, you will not be disappointed.
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons EVOO
2 14 ½ cans organic diced tomatoes
Basil, Oregano, Garlic powder, Salt and Pepper to taste
1 packet of tofu, drained
4 cups cooked brown rice
1 10-ounce package of fresh chopped kale
1 cup nutritional yeast
X-Shade Car Windshield Sunshade Jumbo Review
I am SO looking forward to the nice summer weather coming up soon! I am SO NOT looking forward to burning my hands and any exposed extremity after getting into my car that’s been sitting in the sun for a couple of hours. This year, however, I have a sweet little new gadget to help keep all that burning to a minimum- the Jumbo Windshield Sunshade.
- Easy to set up, easy to fold back down sunshade
- Opens up to cover even large windshields (59 inches by 31 inches)
- Made from reflective polyester nylon
- Blocks 99% of UV rays
- Folds down to a mere 9 inches in diameter for when you’re not using it
- Comes with a convenient little carry pouch
- Money back 100% satisfaction guarantee
Epica Hand Held Shower Head with Extra-Long Hose Review
I never knew just how important it is to have a hand held shower head with a long hose until I got a dog. Then I knew. Washing our dog became infinitely easier once we got one of these so I was pretty happy to try out the Epica shower head with the extra long hose. My to my dog’s dismay, it made it that much easier to bathe him and therefore allows me to bathe him more often, much to my nose’s approval.
- 3 spray settings: narrow, medium and wide streams
- 80 inch (over 6.5 feet!) long non-kinking hose
- Pretty and durable chrome-plated metal
- Includes holder for use as a fixed shower head
- Easy installation, no tools required
Ice Ball Maker & Sphere Ice Mold by Bar Brat Review
I believe that one needs to have fun in every area of their lives. So it should be no surprise that I want to have a bit of fun even when I make assorted beverages. It might sound a little silly but it can be pretty surprising just how much enjoyment I get from putting even a slight spin on a conventional activity. In this case I used the Bar Brat Ice Ball Maker and Mold to add a fun (but practical!) element to my smoothies and various drinks. I even got extra creative and did some less conventional things with the ice spheres.
- The ice mold makes 4 by 4.5 cm spherical ice balls
- Mold is made from high-quality food-grade silicone that will never crack or break the way plastic ones constantly do
- Stacks neatly in your freezer
- It is super easy to fill and is leak free so you don’t have to worry about getting frozen water all over your freezer
- Great to put into both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
- 100% money back guarantee- full refund if you don’t like it in any way
Why My Stroller is Collecting Dust…
I love my Britax stroller – it’s sturdy, easy to unfold, and baby’s car seat clips right in. I (almost) never use it. Am I a hermit who never goes outside? Only when a new version of Civ comes out. Hubby, baby and I take daily walks with the dog, go grocery shopping, and even hit up the occasional festival or restaurant (ah, the crazy social life of the new parent). So how do we do that with a baby in tow and no stroller? Baby-wearing.
I started wearing baby from the day after she was born. Wearing her around the house for a couple of hours each day gives her some skin-to-skin contact and gives me some hands free time to do the dishes, write a blog post, or give the furbabies some love. For the first couple months of her life, the only way she would take her morning nap was snuggled up to her papa or me. Once we started going out for walks and on more outings after the winter-to-end-all-winters finally ended in CT, we quickly realized that wearing baby had great advantages while out and about too. She’s more likely to sleep, I can keep a closer tab on her moods and needs (and keep the paci in when needed), and most well-meaning but potentially germy strangers won’t touch the baby without permission when she’s snuggled against my boobs (although not all — this is a social no-no people!). With some mommy-ninja skills, I can even breastfeed on the go with baby in the carrier.
When Baby More Co. offered us the change to try out their Baby Wrap Carrier, we jumped at the chance. The more carriers we have, the better the chance that there will be one nearby when baby needs some carry time. One in the bedroom, one by the door, one in the car, and one in the diaper bag (different kinds).
General Baby-wearing Features:
- Keeps baby nearby so you can easily attend to his wants/needs
- Gives baby just enough view of the world to observe and learn without sensory overload
- Skin-to-skin contact has amazing benefits for babies
- Babies who are worn cry less (I can attest to this one!)
- Keeps your hands free to do much needed adult things, like cooking, cleaning, working on the computer, etc.
Product Features: Continue Reading…
Vitamin D Gummy Bears: For Kids & Adults (Vegan/Vegetarian) Review
Living in the New England means a few things: people are very serious about their clam chowder, real estate prices are high and most people do not get enough sun to get maintain the necessary amount of Vitamin D in their bodies. I have been trying to get my own Vitamin D #’s up but have had a hard time remembering to take supplements. Remembering to eat something yummy and delicious, however, I tend to remember quite well. This leads me to the perfect solution, Vitamin D gummy bears!
- The gummy bears are 100% Gluten Free and Gelatin Free
- They are made with natural flavors and colors, nothing artificial
- Completely vegan! No milk, egg or even peanut or soy
- Delicious for both kids and adults
- Made in the USA in a GMP certified facility
Bamboo Crib Mattress Protector by Swaddlez Review
Babies are just about the cutest little creatures known to man. Fact. Babies are also some of the messiest creatures known to man. Also fact. And as fun as it can be to wash out a full baby crib mattress from a humungous poop explosion, it’s infinitely easier to just have on a mattress protector that you can throw into the washer. We always have a mattress protector on our crib mattress so let’s how the bamboo crib mattress protector by Swaddlez held up.
- This mattress protect is made from super soft bamboo, which is a naturally hypo-allergenic and antibacterial material
- Prevents (smelly) bacteria, dust mites and mold from growing on the baby’s mattress
- It is extremely absorbent!
- The bamboo viscose is a highly breathable material, which is good on many levels
- It’s perfect for both hot and cold out since it helps keep the baby at a more stable temperature
- Easily fit my crib mattress- made to fit any 52” by 28” mattresses- while still being snug
- Machine washable
- Water (and other baby liquid) proof
- 100% satisfaction money back guarantee
Amazon #Giveaway + Home Chef Review and $30 Off Coupon Code!
Wifey and I are slowly but surely getting hooked on the awesome convenience of subscription food boxes like Home Chef and Hello Fresh (see our Hello Fresh Review and $40 off discount code). I can’t stress how awesome it is getting fresh food delivered to us saving us the trip to the grocery store with a newborn. Home Chef has an interesting spin on the subscription box too, you get a lot more customization with them including options like vegan, vegetarian, gluten free and paleo to name a few. If you like eating restaurant quality food, you’d enjoy this one! Use the link below for the $30 discount!
- Choose the number of meals you want each week on their website
- All ingredients needed for those meals come straight to your door with free delivery on orders over $50 and no sales tax!
- Flexible subscription so you can skip any weeks you want
- The recipes are pictured and explained on color cards with step by step instructions, making even tricky meals seem easy to make
- All ingredients are pre-measured so you only have to chop and toss in, no guesswork required
- Choose what day of the week you want your food to arrive
- You can choose from specific diet options, including vegan- something other subscription boxes don’t do
- At less than $10 per meal, it’s a heck of a lot cheaper than going to a restaurant to eat
- For just $5 per person you can also add a nice bunch of fruits to your box!
- It saves us from going to the grocery, which is SO nice
- You basically make restaurant quality meals with Home Chef so it can save money from going out
- We have actually learned a ton of interesting new cooking techniques and have recreated many of the recipes on our own already
- Feels like a date night every night we make one of these
- Totally worth a try for $30 off- 3 free meals basically
$30 Discount: simply follow the link Here
Bottom Line: Signing up to Home Chef has been a ton of fun and I highly recommend it. This may just be our favorite subscription box yet I’ve already got my parents hooked on it! You can skip or cancel at any time so it’s a great idea to have a little fun and at least try it out for a week, especially for 3 free meals using the discount code! Warning: you may get addicted 😀 Continue Reading…