Lemony-golden flavor with sweet blueberries are the perfect warm treat on a Sunday morning (or anytime, really). I like to make this recipe using blueberries we picked and froze earlier in the summer to remind me of warmer days as the chill of a New England autumn sets in. Healthy, delicious, and super easy – what’s not to love?
2 c. white whole wheat flour
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. evaporated cane juice sugar
1 c. unsweetened almond milk
1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil (“EVOO”)
1/2 t. lemon extract
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1. Preheat oven to 375 and line muffin tin
2. Beat together sugar, milk, oil, lemon extract, and vinegar
3. Add in salt and baking soda.
4. Stir in flour, 1/2 c. at a time until just mixed (small lumps are okay – resist the urge to over mix!)
5. Gently stir in berries.
6. Fill muffin tins about 2/3 full
7. Bake 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center muffin come out clean.
8. Let cool 5 minutes and transfer to wire rack for remaining cooling. Delicious warm or at room temperature!