Just like you remember from childhood. Perfect for birthdays, holidays, Tuesdays…
Makes 12 cupcakes. Double recipe for two 9 inch layers.
1 c. non-dairy milk (such as almond, soy, cashew or coconut) + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
½ c. (1 stick) Earth Balance vegan butter, softened
1 scant c. granulated sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
1 ½ c. all-purpose flour
1 ½ t. baking powder
½ t baking soda
¼ t salt
Optional: 1/3 c. rainbow sprinkles or nonpareils for Confetti cake
Optional: Your favorite frosting (my chocolate buttercream recipe coming soon – will link when posted!)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a standard muffin tray with cupcake liners or grease two 9 in round pans (double recipe).
2. Mix together non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside 2 minutes to create vegan buttermilk.
3. In stand mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy.
4. Sift together dry ingredients (except sprinkles).
5. Add wet and dry to creamed butter mix, alternating until no large lumps remain.
6. Gently fold in sprinkles if using and divide evenly into cupcakes/pans.
7. Bake at 350 for 20-24 min (cupcakes) or 27-33 minutes (9 in pans). They will only have a very light golden color when done so go by the toothpick test instead.
8. Let cool completely before frosting or serving.